Sunday 30 January 2011

Excuses used for not reading blogs


It has happened so often now that I am moved to comment on the number of times someone (usually a journalist) tells me that they are aware of a particular post on North Coast Voices BUT….

a) only stumbled upon it when I was searching for something else on the Internet

b) someone read it out to me because I don’t have time to read blogs

c) a friend of a friend told me a bit about it

d) remember hearing about it somewhere or other

To these four common 'explanations' I often like to mentally add another two for my own amusement:

e) the cat dragged it in and left it on the mat

f) I didn’ t actually read it – it was blocking the bedroom door as I tried to make it to the bathroom this morning ;-)

What is fascinating about this attitude is the level of shame it appears to conceal. Apparently online reading is actually a vice akin to one of the seven deadly sins – especially if you are a professional journalist.

It certainly gives me the silent giggles whenever I hear that BUT.

Cartoon from Savage Chickens

2 comments:

Ken_L said...

In a spin on the old reasons why guys read Playboy, maybe they only go to blogs for the pictures.

Dave Bath said...

ye gods! I thought that was brilliant satire until the end message when I realized it was serious.

Of course, the ignorant assertion Western Civilization built on religion is widely believed - Western Culture essentially on the godless notions of Thales and Pythagoras that first found full expression in 4th Century BCE Athens.