Friday 1 February 2008

Sen. Ted Kennedy on the campaign trail for Obama and asking for money

The emails received from Democrat presidential nominee Barack Obama's campaign team have been a fascinating glimpse into the American political process as it is practised.
One of the marked differences from the Australian system is the constant drive for political donations from ordinary citizens.
Now Senator Ted Kennedy has said "I'm for Obama" and went on to (rather mistakenly) ask me for money yesterday.
What puzzles me [sly smile]. Where are Hillary's emails? Does Senator Clinton have all the campaign funding she needs? And why have no Republicans placed me on their mailing lists?
 
The email:
Dear [edited],
 
When I endorsed Barack Obama on Monday, I was also endorsing a candidate with the power to transform America.
 
As President Kennedy said in 1960, "It is time for a new generation of leadership."
 
This campaign is about a new generation of leadership today. A generation ready to be part of something bigger than themselves. A generation ready to change the country, and a generation ready to change the world.
 
I'm doing everything I can to elect Barack Obama. With less than a week before my state and 21 others make their voices heard, there is no time to lose.
 
Please join me by making a $50 donation now:
 
 
Like my son Patrick and my niece Caroline, I have found a new generation of leadership for America in Barack Obama -- and I hope you have too!
 
Sincerely,
 
Senator Edward M. Kennedy

No comments: