Saturday 24 November 2007

Federal Election 2007: finally, it's your call

After such a long election campaign and an even longer pseudo-campaign before that, Australia finally votes today. I find myself torn between the hope that the country will vote wisely and a fear that John Howard will be returned to power.
 
For those earlybirds out there who may share this fear - a collection of online headlines from around the map.
 
"Finally, it's your poll call"
 
"Howard braces for brush-off"
 
"Money on Labor, but more bets on Coalition"
 
"We stand behind a man of our state and our times"
 
"Key cog in Liberal fortunes"
 
"Libs stage late surge"
 
"Turnbull threatens byelection if he loses"
 
"Sweet taste of defeat"
 
"PM hopes those polls were just joshin' with us"
http://blogs.theaustralian.news.com.au/spincycle/index.php/theaustralian/comments/pm_hopes_those_polls_were_just_joshin_with_us

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rosie (Tabby/Tortoiseshell) - and I are on tender hooks (well she is just chasing my toes) - I am scared that the rodent will get back in. I mean if he wins this one - I just don't get the Australian People??? its been frightening what damage he has done in the last three years with a majority to do as he pleases.

I can see nuclear powerplants being the first push if he keeps the majority. He really doesn't believe in Climate change - and I really can't see the party doing anything to counteract - other than further water restrictions.

Hopefully my trust in the Australian Electorate is not destroyed again.

Anonymous said...

Anon,
Boy the Wonder Cat has spent the entire night asleep in front of a very loud TV - think he knows something I didn't.
Right now at 8.54pm I am hopeful that the Howard Government is gone, but I'm waiting on WA results to come in.